Frequently Asked Questions

Accidents do happen, every day. No one ever anticipates being a victim of an accident, but sometimes an unlikely event does occur. We’ve grouped together some common questions about what steps to take if you’re in a car accident, injured by a product, or injured at work.

Keep in mind that although every situation is different, the answers we provided can be used as guidelines.

Be sure to check back regularly for our latest Accident & Injury Q&As 


Q. How do I know if I need a personal injury lawyer?
A. If you are injured in an accident, and it is due to the negligence of a business, government organization, or any insured person, that party will have claim representatives and attorneys to protect its interests. By retaining an experienced personal injury firm such as Jeffrey Freedman Attorneys, PLLC, you will begin the quest to obtain fair compensation for your financial losses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Call us at 1-855-847-8969.

Q. Should the police be notified at the accident scene?
A. Yes.

Q. What should I do if anyone appears injured?
A. Telephone for an ambulance or other appropriate transportation to a hospital. Tell the investigating police officer about the injuries and cooperate fully with health care providers.

Q. What should I do if I’m injured?
A. If you sustained any injuries, seek medical attention as soon as possible. Medical documentation can be very important later on even if your injuries seem minor now. Above all, if your injuries persist, keep a diary of your medical condition and treatments. This information may be especially helpful if you decide to contact a personal injury attorney for legal assistance.

Q. Should I move my vehicle?
A. Unless your vehicle is creating the potential for another accident, do not move it or the accident debris until you are instructed to do so by the investigating police officer.

Q. Is it okay to talk about the accident?
A. Do not discuss the accident with anyone other than the investigating police officer, your doctors, your own insurance representatives, and your lawyer.

Q. What information do I need from the other driver(s) and witnesses?
A. Get the name, address, telephone number, and automobile insurance information from the other driver(s). Also, get the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of any witnesses to the accident.

Q. What other information or documentation do I need?
A. Make notes of any statements made by the other driver(s) or occupants of the other vehicle about how the accident occurred. You may also want to take photographs of any damage to your vehicle. As time goes on also keep records of any direct expenses you may incur because of the accident, such as rental car charges.

Q. Do I need to notify my insurance company about the accident?
A. Yes. Promptly report the accident to your insurance company.

Q. What determines the amount of my personal injury claim?
A. There is no standard formula for determining the value of a personal injury claim. Each person has a personal story of hardship. Your attorney at Jeffrey Freedman Attorneys, PLLC will examine the injuries you have incurred, your financial losses, and how this injury will affect your future. We will take all of this into consideration before we recommend a target amount for your settlement.

Q. How long will it take to settle my case?
A. When you have been injured you and your family members face many difficult challenges. However, insurance companies know claimants want to settle as early as possible and use that knowledge to negotiate low settlements. At Jeffrey Freedman Attorneys, PLLC we recommend our clients do not rush to settle, and even though we obtain many satisfactory settlements out of court, we are always prepared to take your case to trial to get the compensation you deserve.

Product Injuries

Q. What steps do I take if I’m injured by a product?
A. First, keep as much evidence from the product as possible to establish the case. For example, if an aerosol can explodes or if a wheel falls off a bike, save as many pieces as possible. Try not to disturb the site of the accident. Take photographs of the accident, especially if you need to clean up the site.

Note the manufacturer’s name on the product, the serial number, model number, and other pertinent information. Retain the product package, the instructions, and store receipts. Take time to record exactly how you remember the accident happening, including the time and day of the event. And always keep a complete diary of medical treatments, including the name of the hospital and the doctors that administer treatment to you.

Q. Does it matter when I contact a personal injury lawyer?
A. There is a statute of limitations on injury accidents that may expire if you wait too long to file a suit. Also, over time witnesses sometimes become less willing to testify on your behalf, or evidence is lost. The earlier you contact Jeffrey Freedman Attorneys, PLLC, the more certain you are of receiving just compensation. If your child has been injured, you should be aware that in New York state the statute of limitations begins to accrue only after the child has turned 18. In these cases you can file a claim years after the injury has occurred up until after your child has turned 18 and the statute has run out.

Work Injuries

Q. What happens if I’m injured at work?
A. In most cases, Workers’ Compensation will cover your medical bills and some of your lost wages. And as a general rule, you can’t bring action against your employer for the accident.  However, there may be reasons to initiate a lawsuit against a third party. For example, we often represent workers on construction excavation sites in suits against property owners and non-employer general contractors. Also, if you were working on property owned by another company, and hazardous conditions existed on that property, the property owner could be liable. If you were injured by a machine at work, you could bring action against the machine’s manufacturer for defective design. In any work-related injury, it’s best to consult with your attorney who will review the details of the accident. Again, a diary of the event and medical documentation could be important.

Contact us today for your Free Consultation: 1-855-847-8969


Contact our team of experienced legal professionals by filling out the form below.