Skip to main content

VA Claims Process

If you are a veteran and have been injured as a result of your military service, you may be eligible to receive VA disability benefits. There are multiple steps involved in the process.

First, you need to submit your claim to the VA. This is done through the use of VA Form 21-526EZ, and the form can be submitted online, through regular mail, or via fax. The veteran will be notified when the claim has been received by the VA.

Once the VA receives your claim, a Veteran Service Representative (VSR) will be assigned to your case. He or she will review your claim to see if any additional evidence will be needed. Evidence could include personnel and treatment records. When the VSR feels comfortable that all evidence necessary has been obtained, he or she will move the case along to a Rating Veteran Service Representative (RVSR).

An RVSR will determine the level of severity of your injuries. The severity determination dictates how much you will receive in benefits payments each month. A representative will then review the case from start to finish to make sure the decision is correct. Then he or she will authorize the decision and notify you.

If you have additional questions, feel free to contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1.800.827.1000. If you use a Telecommunication Device for the Deaf (TDD), the federal number is 711.